- Also called bo-peep. a game played by or with very young children, typically in which one covers the face or hides and then suddenly uncovers the face or reappears, calling “Peekaboo!”
- decorated with openwork.
- made of a sheer and revealing material, as some blouses for women.
- appearing briefly and then vanishing, or promising to appear but failing to do so: the fluctuating response of the stock market to a peekaboo economic recovery.
Origin of peekaboo
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for peekaboo
Contemporary Examples of peekaboo
These images of schoolgirl skirts and peekaboo buttock outlines are just the most open, unapologetic manifestation of that.
Historical Examples of peekaboo
If you wore a peekaboo waist she couldn't see through you any easier.Cobb's Anatomy
Irvin S. Cobb
- a game for young children, in which one person hides his face and suddenly reveals it and cries "peekaboo."
- (of a garment) made of fabric that is almost transparent or patterned with small holes
Word Origin for peekaboo
C16: from peek + boo
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for peekaboo
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper