- Also called bo-peep. a game played by or with very young children, typically in which one covers the face or hides and then suddenly uncovers the face or reappears, calling “Peekaboo!”
- decorated with openwork.
- made of a sheer and revealing material, as some blouses for women.
- appearing briefly and then vanishing, or promising to appear but failing to do so: the fluctuating response of the stock market to a peekaboo economic recovery.
Origin of peekaboo
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for peekaboo
These images of schoolgirl skirts and peekaboo buttock outlines are just the most open, unapologetic manifestation of that.
If you wore a peekaboo waist she couldn't see through you any easier.Cobb's Anatomy
Irvin S. Cobb
- a game for young children, in which one person hides his face and suddenly reveals it and cries "peekaboo."
- (of a garment) made of fabric that is almost transparent or patterned with small holes
C16: from peek + boo
Word Origin and History for peekaboo
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper