- boldly forward in speech or behavior; impertinent; saucy.
- jaunty and stylish; chic; natty.
- lively; sprightly; in good health.
- Obsolete. clever.
Origin of pert
Synonyms for pert
Related Words for perteranimated, audacious, brash, brazen, breezy, bright, brisk, cheeky, dapper, daring, dashing, disrespectful, flip, flippant, forward, fresh, gay, impertinent, impudent, insolent
- saucy, impudent, or forward
- jauntya pert little hat
- obsolete clever or brisk
Word Origin for pert
- programme evaluation and review technique
c.1300 (implied in pertly), "evident, unconcealed," shortened form of Middle English apert "open, frank," from Old French apert, from Latin apertus, past participle of aperire "to open" (see overt). Sense of "saucy, bold" first recorded late 14c. Less pejorative meaning "lively, brisk, in good spirits" (c.1500) survives in U.S. dialectal peart (with Middle English alternative spelling). Related: Pertness.
- American biochemist noted for her study of brain chemicals and the locations of their receptors.