- boldly forward in speech or behavior; impertinent; saucy.
- jaunty and stylish; chic; natty.
- lively; sprightly; in good health.
- Obsolete. clever.
Origin of pert
Related Wordsanimated, audacious, brash, brazen, breezy, bright, brisk, cheeky, dapper, daring, dashing, disrespectful, flip, flippant, forward, fresh, gay, impertinent, impudent, insolent
- saucy, impudent, or forward
- jauntya pert little hat
- obsolete clever or brisk
- programme evaluation and review technique
Word Origin and History for perter
c.1300 (implied in pertly), "evident, unconcealed," shortened form of Middle English apert "open, frank," from Old French apert, from Latin apertus, past participle of aperire "to open" (see overt). Sense of "saucy, bold" first recorded late 14c. Less pejorative meaning "lively, brisk, in good spirits" (c.1500) survives in U.S. dialectal peart (with Middle English alternative spelling). Related: Pertness.
Pert(pûrt)Candace Beebe Born 1946
- American biochemist noted for her study of brain chemicals and the locations of their receptors.