- a device worn in the vagina to support a displaced uterus.
- a vaginal suppository.
- diaphragm(def 4).
Origin of pessary
Examples from the Web for pessary
Historical Examples of pessary
Sometimes a pessary which prevents the anteversion is efficient.Woman
William J. Robinson
I recommend the use of the pessary as the most convenient, the cheapest and the safest.Family Limitation
A doctor's help is needed only when first selecting the right size of pessary.
The pessary should, of course, never be worn during the menstrual period.
If there is inflammation of the womb, this must be subdued before using the pessary.
- a device for inserting into the vagina, either as a support for the uterus or (diaphragm pessary) to deliver a drug, such as a contraceptive
- a medicated vaginal suppository
Word Origin for pessary
c.1400, from Late Latin pessarium, from Greek pessarion "medicated tampon of wool or lint," diminutive of pessos "pessary," earlier "oval stone used in games," perhaps of Semitic origin.
- Any of various devices worn in the vagina to support or correct the position of the uterus or rectum.
- A contraceptive diaphragm.
- A medicated vaginal suppository.