- the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.
- the study of human beings' similarity to and divergence from other animals.
- the science of humans and their works.
- Also called philosophical anthropology. the study of the nature and essence of humankind.
Origin of anthropology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for philosophical-anthropology
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The scientific study of humans, especially of their origin, their behavior, and their physical, social, and cultural development.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The scientific study of the origin, development, and varieties of human beings and their societies, particularly so-called primitive societies.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.