- the development or evolution of a particular group of organisms.
- the evolutionary history of a group of organisms, especially as depicted in a family tree.
Origin of phylogeny
Examples from the Web for phylogeny
Historical Examples of phylogeny
In the previous chapter we have considered the phylogeny of love in general.The Sexual Question
This is the first phylogeny or genealogical tree ever published.Lamarck, the Founder of Evolution
Alpheus Spring Packard
This phylogeny, the author thinks, is the most probable of all.
What then undergoes change in phylogeny, the means or the entelechy?
But this, remember, was the utmost we were able to say for phylogeny.
- biology the sequence of events involved in the evolution of a species, genus, etcCompare ontogeny
Word Origin for phylogeny
Word Origin and History for phylogeny
- The evolutionary development and history of a species or higher taxonomic grouping of organisms.phylogenesis
- The evolutionary development of an organ or other part of an organism.
- The evolutionary development and history of a species or higher taxonomic grouping of organisms.