- the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet (II, π).
- the consonant sound represented by this letter.
- the letter π, used as the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
- the ratio itself: 3.141592+.
Origin of pi1
- printing types mixed together indiscriminately.
- any confused mixture; jumble.
- to reduce (printing types) to a state of confusion.
- to jumble.
Origin of pi2
- Law. personal injury.
- principal investigator.
- Also P.I., p.i. private investigator.
- Philippine Islands.
- Also PI, p.i. private investigator.
Related Words for pisleuth, gumshoe, detective, reporter, agent, spy, informer, prosecutor, cop, eavesdropper, tail, investigator, sleuthhound, flatfoot, dick, tracker, bloodhound, fink, eye, snoop
Examples from the Web for pi
Contemporary Examples of pi
In Pi, a numbers theorist named Max Cohen decides to put a power drill through his own brain.‘Noah’ Review: An Ambitious, Flawed Biblical Tale That You Have to See
March 28, 2014
They included Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi, and Calvin Trillin.The Second Life of San Miguel de Allende
February 26, 2014
Life of Pi immediately became the odds-on favorite to win, with more bets placed on it than any other Booker nominee ever.The 12 Biggest Booker Prize Controversies
July 23, 2013
She was Richard Parker in Life of Pi, a tiger who confusingly talked, and with an Indian accent, to boot.MTV Movie Awards 2013 Best Moments: Rebel Wilson & More (VIDEO)
April 15, 2013
PE, like fe, is another Hebrew letter, tho Greek and math people prefer their PI better.National Scrabble Day: A Poem So You’ll Know All 101 Two-Letter Words
April 13, 2013
Historical Examples of pi
Pi Hsi holds Chung-mou in rebellion; how could ye go to him, Sir?The Sayings Of Confucius
If you'll but drop the e in pi Better on stomach pi will li.How Doth the Simple Spelling Bee
She calls them piazzas, with the accent strong upon the "pi."The Personality of American Cities
This is pronounced as pa, pe, pi (etc.), with an aspiration.
Now Pi Hsi has raised the standard of rebellion in Chung-mou.The Sayings of Confucius
- the 16th letter in the Greek alphabet (Π, π), a consonant, transliterated as p
- maths a transcendental number, fundamental to mathematics, that is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Approximate value: 3.141 592…; symbol: π
Word Origin for pi
- a jumbled pile of printer's type
- a jumbled mixture
- to spill and mix (set type) indiscriminately
- to mix up
Word Origin for pi
- Philippine Islands
- private investigator
Greek letter, from Hebrew, literally "little mouth." As the name of the mathematical constant, from 1841 in English, used in Latin 1748 by Swiss mathematician Leonhart Euler (1707-1783), as an abbreviation of Greek periphereia "periphery." For the meaning "printer's term for mixed type," see pie (3).
- The 16th letter of the Greek alphabet.
- The pH value for the isoelectric point of a given substance in solution.
- An irrational number that has a numerical value of 3.14159265358979… and is represented by the symbol π. It expresses the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle and appears in many mathematical expressions.