- Baseball. to serve as a pinch hitter.
- Informal. to substitute for someone, especially in an emergency.
- Baseball. to get, or make (a hit) in pinch-hitting.
Origin of pinch-hit
- a hit made by a pinch hitter.
Origin of pinch hit
Related Words for pinch-hitalternate, change, commute, deputize, displace, proxy, relieve, replace, spell, sub, supersede, supplant, supply, swap, switch
Examples from the Web for pinch-hit
Contemporary Examples of pinch-hit
Ed Kranepool pinch-hit a gentle single; and then Willie Mays was up.Murray Kempton on The Homecoming of Willie Mays
March 31, 2014
In the top of the ninth inning, in his last appearance in professional baseball, he was sent in to pinch-hit for Zachary.Babe Ruth’s Summer of Records
September 29, 2013
Historical Examples of pinch-hit
Muikstra ku sa mga draybir nga nasakit, I pinch-hit for drivers who are sick.A Dictionary of Cebuano Visayan
John U. Wolff
- baseball to bat as a substitute for the scheduled batter
- US and Canadian informal to act as a substitute
- cricket (of a batsman in a limited-overs match) to bat aggressively at the start of an innings in order to take advantage of fielding restrictions