- Auto Racing. a stop in the pits during a race, in which a competing car receives gasoline, a change of tires, or other servicing or repair.
- Informal. any brief stop, as during an automobile ride, so that one may eat, get a drink, use a rest room, etc.
- a place where one makes such stops.
Origin of pit stop
First recorded in 1930–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- motor racing a brief stop made at a pit by a racing car for repairs, refuelling, etc
- informal any stop made during a car journey for refreshment, rest, or refuelling
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012