- an area used for outdoor play or recreation, especially by children, and often containing recreational equipment such as slides and swings.
- Informal. any place, environment, or facility used for recreation or amusement, as a resort: The tropical island is an international playground for the rich.
- an arena of operation or activity.
Origin of playground
Related Words for playgroundpark
Examples from the Web for playground
Contemporary Examples of playground
A personal favorite is “C Is For Cookie” for guiding me through a 1994 playground debate over how to spell the word.‘Sesame Street’ Is Middle-Aged and Awesome
November 10, 2014
She toddled off to the playground, still jabbering to herself, evoking giggles from the Hawa staff.The Life of a Liberian Child with Ebola
November 5, 2014
Before we are introduced to Singer and her daughter, the program takes us to a playground in San Francisco.Hey Anti-Vaxxers, Watch NOVA: Vaccines--Calling the Shots
September 11, 2014
Formerly a playground for Sunday school kids, it has a spooky, cloistered feel to it.The Stacks: The Judas Priest Teen Suicide Trial
June 28, 2014
Another man, sitting in the playground of a sanatorium, was watching his toddler play on the slide of a jungle gym.Ukraine Families Flee Into the Forest to Escape Brutal Fighting in Sloviansk
June 10, 2014
Historical Examples of playground
It was now that Globson, Bully no more, sought me out in the playground.The Uncommercial Traveller
If large enough it should include tennis courts and a playground.The Farmer and His Community
He may look over the wall and see our playground: who knows?
He knew how to play as well as to study, and his laugh on the playground was as merry as any.Paul Prescott's Charge
The Poor Boy is off to his playground, and it's time you got ready for your walk.If You Touch Them They Vanish
- an outdoor area for children's play, esp one having swings, slides, etc, or adjoining a school
- a place or region particularly popular as a sports or holiday resort
- a sphere of activityreading was his private playground