- pain in the chest or side.
- Also called epidemic pleurodynia, devil's grip. an epidemic disease caused by a coxsackievirus, characterized by sudden chest pain, mild fever, and recurrence on the third day of these symptoms.
Origin of pleurodynia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pain in the muscles between the ribs
C19: from New Latin, from pleuro- + Greek -odynia, from odynē pain
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Pleuritic pain in the chest.
- Paroxysmal pain and soreness of the muscles between the ribs, usually due to muscular rheumatism.pleuralgia
- Epidemic pleurodynia.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.