- a person who is active in party politics.
- a seeker or holder of public office, who is more concerned about winning favor or retaining power than about maintaining principles.
- a person who holds a political office.
- a person skilled in political government or administration; statesman or stateswoman.
- an expert in politics or political government.
- a person who seeks to gain power or advancement within an organization in ways that are generally disapproved.
Origin of politician
Synonyms for politicianSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for politicianlawmaker, senator, leader, legislator, officeholder, partisan, boss, speaker, orator, president, chieftain, grandstander, democrat, republican, congressperson, handshaker
Examples from the Web for politician
Contemporary Examples of politician
They are model citizens, the kind of people whose lives might be used as exemplary stories by a politician in a stump speech.The 2014 Novel of the Year
December 29, 2014
Which politician wants to defend federally-subsidized abortions for convicted criminals?The GOP’s Hidden Ban on Prison Abortions
December 13, 2014
He reiterated the statements “I am not a politician” and “I am not a political advisor” so often that it seemed like a verbal tic.Obamacare Architect: I Wanted to Sound Smart
December 9, 2014
“François Hollande never said a word out of line to me or behaved inappropriately with me—unlike many a politician,” she writes.Hell Hath No Fury Like Valerie Trierweiler, the French President’s Ex
November 28, 2014
A politician or pundit screws up on one, and is made fun of on the other.Wanted: Less Terrible Political Coverage on TV
November 19, 2014
Historical Examples of politician
Mr. John Lambert was a millionnaire, a politician, and a widower.Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
She was, besides being a gamester and a politician—what do you think?Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10)
The politician for whom the voter had voted got in by five hundred and fifty-five votes.Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
The politician solemnly pointed downwards with his forefinger.
His name was Fleming, and he claimed to be a New York politician.
- a person actively engaged in politics, esp a full-time professional member of a deliberative assembly
- a person who is experienced or skilled in the art or science of politics, government, or administration; statesman
- derogatory, mainly US a person who engages in politics out of a wish for personal gain, as realized by holding a public office