- a dot or round spot (printed, woven, or embroidered) repeated to form a pattern on a textile fabric.
- a pattern of or a fabric with such dots.
Origin of polka dot
An Americanism dating back to 1880–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- one of a pattern of small circular regularly spaced spots on a fabric
- a fabric or pattern with such spots
- (as modifier)a polka-dot dress
C19: of uncertain origin
Word Origin and History for polkadotted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper