- producing fruit many times, as a perennial plant.
- having a gynoecium composed of two or more distinct ovaries.
Origin of polycarpic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for polycarpic
Polycarpic, term used by DeCandolle in the sense of perennial.The Elements of Botany
Polycarpic, pol-i-kar′pik, adj. fruiting many times or year after year.
- (of a plant) able to produce flowers and fruit several times in successive years or seasons
- Relating to a plant that produces fruit more than once during its lifetime.
- Variant of polycarpous.
- Having fruit or pistils with two or more carpels.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.