- able to speak or write several languages; multilingual.
- containing, composed of, or written in several languages: a polyglot Bible.
- a mixture or confusion of languages.
- a person who speaks, writes, or reads a number of languages.
- a book, especially a Bible, containing the same text in several languages.
Origin of polyglot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having a command of many languages
- written in, composed of, or containing many languages
- a person with a command of many languages
- a book, esp a Bible, containing several versions of the same text written in various languages
- a mixture or confusion of languages
C17: from Greek poluglōttos literally: many-tongued, from poly- + glōtta tongue
Word Origin and History for polyglotism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper