- of or relating to the ear or to the sense of hearing; aural.
- perceived by or addressed to the ear; made in private: an auricular confession.
- dependent on hearing; understood or known by hearing: auricular evidence.
- shaped like an ear; auriculate.
- Anatomy. pertaining to an auricle of the heart.
- Ornithology. pertaining to certain often modified feathers that cover and protect the opening of a bird's ear.
- Usually auriculars. Ornithology. feathers that cover and protect the opening of a bird's ear.
Origin of auricular
Examples from the Web for postauricular
Historical Examples of postauricular
Upper parts darker and underparts lighter; postauricular patches larger and darker; claws on front feet longer and slenderer.
Color: Generally lighter, except the underparts which are about the same; postauricular patches larger and more deeply pigmented.
Color: Generally darker throughout; postauricular patches smaller.
Color: Darker throughout; postauricular patches relatively smaller.
Color: Lighter throughout; postauricular patches smaller and lighter.
- of, relating to, or received by the sense or organs of hearing; aural
- shaped like an ear
- of or relating to an auricle of the heart
- (of feathers) occurring in tufts surrounding the ears of owls and similar birds
- (usually plural) an auricular feather
1540s, "auditory" (originally of confessions), from Medieval Latin auricularis, from Latin auricula (see auricle). Meaning "pertaining to the ear" is from 1640s.
- Of or relating to the sense of hearing or the organs of hearing.
- Perceived by or spoken into the ear, as when testing hearing.
- Shaped like an ear or an earlobe; having earlike parts or extensions.
- Of or relating to an auricle of the heart.