- food or a meal that happens to be available without special preparation or purchase: to take potluck with a friend.
- Also called potluck supper, potluck dinner, potluck lunch. a meal, especially for a large group, to which participants bring various foods to be shared.
- whatever is available or comes one's way: With fluctuating interest rates, homebuyers are learning to take potluck with the banks.
Origin of potluck
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- whatever food happens to be available without special preparation
- (as modifier)a pot-luck dinner
- whatever is available (esp in the phrase take pot luck)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pot luck
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with pot luck
see take potluck.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.