- a hook for suspending a pot or kettle over an open fire.
- an iron rod, usually curved, with a hook at the end, used to lift hot pots, irons, stove lids, etc.
- an S-shaped stroke in writing, especially as made by children in learning to write.
Origin of pothook
Examples from the Web for pothook
Historical Examples of pothook
Besides, if that failed him, he had usually a pothook handy.The Sheriff of Badger
George B. Pattullo
He covered his hand with a cloth, seized the pothook which hung from the entrance of the chimney, and moved it laboriously aside.The Pursuit
Frank (Frank Mackenzie) Savile
Sophie would demand from her seat by the pothook; and Mrs. Cloke would answer, smoothing her knees, "For the sake of the place."Actions and Reactions
- a curved or S-shaped hook used for suspending a pot over a fire
- a long hook used for lifting hot pots, lids, etc
- an S-shaped mark, often made by children when learning to write