- a hook for suspending a pot or kettle over an open fire.
- an iron rod, usually curved, with a hook at the end, used to lift hot pots, irons, stove lids, etc.
- an S-shaped stroke in writing, especially as made by children in learning to write.
Origin of pothook
Examples from the Web for pothooks
Historical Examples of pothooks
You have changed a number of spoken words into a number of pothooks and scrawls.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
They are the pothooks and hangers of surgery, and I have gone that far.Lord Kilgobbin
Polly's pothooks, as her father called them, were pictures in her father's eyes.Ralph the Heir
The 2nd Battalion are called "The Pothooks," from their number .
What blots, pothooks, and angles you and I make as we are trying to write on the top of the page of life.Expositions of Holy Scripture
- a curved or S-shaped hook used for suspending a pot over a fire
- a long hook used for lifting hot pots, lids, etc
- an S-shaped mark, often made by children when learning to write