OTHER WORDS FOR death
OPPOSITES FOR death
Idioms about death
- to be excessively strict about: College professors are death on late work, so don't even ask for a deadline extension.
- to be snobbish about or toward: He's just death on anyone who doesn't appreciate opera.
- to be able to cope with easily and successfully: The third baseman is death on pop flies.
- to kill, especially to murder.
- to repeat too often, to the point of becoming monotonous and boring: That theme has been done to death.
- Fox Hunting. present at the kill.
- present at the climax or conclusion of a situation.
Origin of death
OTHER WORDS FROM deathpre·death, noun
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH deathdearth, death
How to use death in a sentence
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.The Muslim Cop Killed by Terrorists|Michael Daly|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Asia Bibi, as she is known, was arrested and sentenced to death.
The most notorious states are Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, where death is an acceptable legal remedy.
Father Joel Román Salazar died in a car crash in 2013; his death was ruled an accident, but the suspicion of foul play persists.Mexico’s Priests Are Marked for Murder|Jason McGahan|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The death toll, which experts believe has been significantly undercut by secret burials, stands at 7,905.The Race for the Ebola Vaccine|Abby Haglage|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
This is the place where the Muscovite criminals are banished to, if they are not put to death.
Elyon is the name of an ancient Phœnician god, slain by his son El, no doubt the “first-born of death” in Job xviii.Solomon and Solomonic Literature|Moncure Daniel Conway
Your sacrifice shall be the agony of agonies, the death of deaths, and yet you'll find yourself unable to resist.Checkmate|Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Good is set against evil, and life against death: so also is the sinner against a just man.
For of sadness cometh death, and it overwhelmeth the strength, and the sorrow of the heart boweth down the neck.
British Dictionary definitions for death
- to death or to the death until deadbleed to death; a fight to the death
- to death excessivelybored to death
- to kill
- to overuse (a joke, etc) so that it no longer has any effect
- present when an animal that is being hunted is caught and killed
- present at the finish or climax
Other words from deathRelated adjectives: fatal, lethal, mortalRelated prefixes: necro-, thanato-
Word Origin for death
Scientific definitions for death
Other Idioms and Phrases with death
In addition to the idioms beginning with death
- death and taxes, certain as
- death knell
- death of
- death on
- at death's door
- be the death of
- bore to death
- catch cold (one's death)
- fate worse than death
- in at the death
- kiss of death
- look like death (warmed over)
- matter of life and death
- put to death
- scare out of one's wits (to death)
- sign one's own death warrant
- thrill to pieces (to death)
- tickled pink (to death)
- to death
Also see underdead.