- the act of approving; approbation.
- formal permission or sanction.
- Philately. one of a group of selected stamps sent by a dealer to a prospective customer for examination and either purchase or return.
- on approval, without obligation to buy unless satisfactory to the customer upon trial or examination and, otherwise, returnable: We ship merchandise on approval.
Origin of approval
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of approving
- formal agreement; sanction
- a favourable opinion; commendation
- on approval (of articles for sale) for examination with an option to buy or return
Word Origin and History for preapproval
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with preapproval
see on approval; seal of approval.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.