- of or relating to the ear or to the sense of hearing; aural.
- perceived by or addressed to the ear; made in private: an auricular confession.
- dependent on hearing; understood or known by hearing: auricular evidence.
- shaped like an ear; auriculate.
- Anatomy. pertaining to an auricle of the heart.
- Ornithology. pertaining to certain often modified feathers that cover and protect the opening of a bird's ear.
- Usually auriculars. Ornithology. feathers that cover and protect the opening of a bird's ear.
Origin of auricular
Examples from the Web for preauricular
Historical Examples of preauricular
The disease is generally confined to one eye, and complicated by swelling of the preauricular glands of that side.
- of, relating to, or received by the sense or organs of hearing; aural
- shaped like an ear
- of or relating to an auricle of the heart
- (of feathers) occurring in tufts surrounding the ears of owls and similar birds
- (usually plural) an auricular feather
1540s, "auditory" (originally of confessions), from Medieval Latin auricularis, from Latin auricula (see auricle). Meaning "pertaining to the ear" is from 1640s.
- Of or relating to the sense of hearing or the organs of hearing.
- Perceived by or spoken into the ear, as when testing hearing.
- Shaped like an ear or an earlobe; having earlike parts or extensions.
- Of or relating to an auricle of the heart.