- to determine by calculation; reckon; calculate: to compute the period of Jupiter's revolution.
- to determine by using a computer or calculator.
- to reckon; calculate.
- to use a computer or calculator.
- Informal. to make sense; add up: His reasons for doing that just don't compute.
- computation: outer space that is vast beyond compute.
Origin of compute
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to calculate (an answer, result, etc), often with the aid of a computer
- calculation; computation (esp in the phrase beyond compute)
C17: from Latin computāre, from putāre to think
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for precompute
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper