- occurring earlier in pregnancy than expected; premature: preterm labor.
- a baby born prematurely, especially one born before the 37th week of pregnancy and weighing less than 5½ pounds (2.5 kg).
Origin of preterm
Examples from the Web for preterm
Contemporary Examples of preterm
“I went into preterm labor at 22 weeks with my son… I hope one day we both can have healthy babies,” a woman writes.Parents of Stillborn Babies Post Hundreds of Memorials to YouTube
November 4, 2013
And a 2010 study found a link between women who drank diet soda while pregnant and the risk of preterm delivery.There Are Dangers in Drinking Diet Soda
July 13, 2013
- (of a baby) born prematurely
- Occurring or appearing before the expected time at the end of a full-term pregnancy.
- An infant born prematurely.