- (sometimes initial capital letter) of or relating to Priapus; phallic.
- characterized by or emphasizing a phallus: priapic figurines.
- (of an image) suggestive of or resembling a phallus by its shape.
- exaggeratedly concerned with masculinity and male sexuality.
Origin of priapic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for priapic
Married off to Henry Thrale, a rich, priapic brewer, she bore him twelve children, of whom only four survived into adult life.History's Most Memorable Mistress
December 26, 2008
He has observed idols in priapic attitudes, rudely carved in wood, and others made of clay.
Small gods of clay are made in priapic attitudes before which the natives worship.
This fictitious character is represented in priapic attitudes in a number of illustrations of old English ballads.
The association of the goat with priapic ceremonies has already been mentioned.
The priapic and generative influences of Frey are only indicated by a curious tradition mentioned.The Danish History, Books I-IX
Saxo Grammaticus ("Saxo the Learned")
- (sometimes capital) of or relating to Priapus
- a less common word for phallic
Word Origin and History for priapic
"phallic," 1786, with -ic + Priapus (Greek Priapos), son of Dionysus and Aphrodite, the god who personified male reproductive power. His name is of unknown origin.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus; phallic.
- Relating to or excessively concerned with masculinity.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.