- constituting a beginning; giving origin to something derived or developed; original; elementary: primordial forms of life.
- Embryology. first formed.
- pertaining to or existing at or from the very beginning: primordial matter.
Origin of primordial
Related Words for primordialpristine, primal, primeval, prehistoric, primitive, basic, early, elemental, first, fundamental, original, primary, prime, radical
Examples from the Web for primordial
Contemporary Examples of primordial
Sliding around beneath the surface of Los Angeles is something dark, primordial, and without form.The Fiery Underground Oil Pit Eating L.A.
December 6, 2014
He is rather drawn to figures in pain, to the primordial, and to gloom.Trading Dime Bags for Salvador Dali
October 19, 2014
One predicted side effect of inflation is primordial gravitational waves: twisty ripples in the structure of the Universe.The Big Buzz in Space News Is Something Called “Inflation.” What Exactly Is It?
Matthew R. Francis
March 30, 2014
By now a calm had settled over him, a kind of primordial survival instinct, he believes.Black Hawk Down’s Long Shadow
October 9, 2013
Jung argued that horror touches on primordial images in the collective unconscious.Why Our Brains Love Horror Movies
October 26, 2011
Historical Examples of primordial
But all these primordial forms grow--develop into vital activity.Life: Its True Genesis
R. W. Wright
They live in the crude, primordial fashion of their forefathers.The Long Labrador Trail
Now, we cannot get away from a difference so fundamental, so primordial as this.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
All the primordial brute in these men was glowing in their hearts.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
First of all Thales thought that water was the primordial substance of all things.Ten Books on Architecture
- existing at or from the beginning; earliest; primeval
- constituting an origin; fundamental
- biology of or relating to an early stage of developmentprimordial germ cells
- an elementary or basic principle
Word Origin for primordial
Word Origin and History for primordial
- Being or happening first in sequence of time; primary; original.
- Belonging to or characteristic of the earliest stage of development of an organism or part.
- Relating to a primordium.