Related formsnon·print·ing, adjective
Definition for printing (2 of 2)
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- a design or pattern on cloth made by dyeing, weaving, or printing with engraved rollers, blocks of wood, stencils, etc.
- a cloth so treated.
- an article of apparel made of this cloth.
Origin of print
Related formsun·print·ed, adjectivewell-print·ed, adjective
Can be confusedprince prints
Examples from the Web for printing
Using standard methods, the cost of printing DNA could run upwards of a billion dollars or more, depending on the strand.
Consumers are also gaining the ability to take the designs into their own hands as 3D printing becomes more accessible.
For as much as Walter was a maniac, he was at the forefront of printing art.Tim Burton Talks ‘Big Eyes,’ His Taste For the Macabre, and the ‘Beetlejuice’ Sequel|Marlow Stern|December 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The entire process of preplanning and printing the hand, brackets, and cuffs takes just over a day.
With 3D printing you can continue to use the file and update.
Sometimes the printing does not follow as quickly as one would like.
Inconsistent hyphenation, punctuation, printing and spelling errors have been corrected silently.A Fair Mystery|Bertha M. Clay
Sizing material is also added, which helps to keep the fibres together and hold the ink in printing.The Building of a Book|Various
Binding books was one of his occupations; and in 1509, when a press was set up in the monastery, he lent a hand in the printing.The Age of Erasmus|P. S. Allen
It did not take long to find out how little I knew about printing a newspaper.Land of the Burnt Thigh|Edith Eudora Kohl
British Dictionary definitions for printing (1 of 2)
- the process, business, or art of producing printed matter
- (as modifier)printing ink
British Dictionary definitions for printing (2 of 2)
- in printed or published form
- (of a book, etc) offered for sale by the publisher
- a fabric with a printed design
- (as modifier)a print dress
- a mark or indentation made by pressing something onto a surface
- a stamp, die, etc, that makes such an impression
- the surface subjected to such an impression
Word Origin for print
Idioms and Phrases with printing
In addition to the idiom beginning with print
- print out
- go out (of print)
- in print
- small print