- serving temporarily, especially as a substitute during another's absence; not permanent; temporary: the acting mayor.
- designed, adapted, or suitable for stage performance.
- provided with detailed stage directions for the performer: an acting version of a play.
- the art, profession, or activity of those who perform in stage plays, motion pictures, etc.
Origin of acting
Synonyms for acting
- taking on duties temporarily, esp as a substitute for anotherthe acting president
- operating or functioningan acting order
- intended for stage performance; provided with directions for actorsan acting version of ``Hedda Gabler''
- the art or profession of an actor
1590s, "putting forth activity," present participle adjective from act (v.). Meaning "performing temporary duties" is from 1797.
c.1600, "performance of deeds;" 1660s, "performance of plays;" verbal noun from present participle of act (v.). Acting out in psychology is from 1945.