- the particular group of persons forming the cabinet at any given time: The prime minister has formed a new government.
- the parliament along with the cabinet: The government has fallen.
Origin of government
- the executive policy-making body of a political unit, community, etc; ministry or administrationyesterday we got a new government
- (capital when of a specific country)the British Government
- the state and its administrationblame it on the government
- (as modifier)a government agency
late 14c., "act of governing or ruling;" 1550s, "system by which a thing is governed" (especially a state), from Old French governement (Modern French gouvernement), from governer (see govern). Replaced Middle English governance. Meaning "governing power" in a given place is from 1702.