Origin of symptomatic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (often foll by of) being a symptom; indicativesymptomatic of insanity
- of or relating to a symptom or symptoms
- according to symptomsa symptomatic analysis of a case
Word Origin and History for pseudo-symptomatic
1690s, from French symptomatique or directly from Late Latin symptomaticus, from symptomat-, stem of symptoma (see symptom). Related: Symptomatical (1580s).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or based on symptoms.
- Constituting a symptom, as of a disease.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.