- See under granadilla(def 1).
- the edible fruit of any of several species of passionflower, especially Passiflora edulis (purple granadilla) or P. quadrangularis (giant granadilla).
- any of the plants yielding these fruits.
Origin of granadilla
1605–15; < Spanish granadilla, diminutive of granada pomegranate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various passionflowers, such as Passiflora quadrangularis (giant granadilla), that have edible egg-shaped fleshy fruit
- Also called: passion fruit the fruit of such a plant
Word Origin for granadilla
C18: from Spanish, diminutive of granada pomegranate, from Late Latin grānātum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012