- Also Pyth·ic. of or relating to Delphi, in ancient Greece.
- of or relating to Apollo, with reference to his oracle at Delphi.
- a Pythian priestess.
Origin of Pythian
1590–1600; < Latin Pȳthi(us) (< Greek Pȳ́thios of Delphi and the oracle) + -an
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pythic
The Pythic, sacred to Apollo Pythius, also celebrated every four years.Ruins of Ancient Cities (Vol. II of II)
- of or relating to Delphi or its oracle
- the priestess of Apollo at the oracle of Delphi
- an inhabitant of ancient Delphi
C16: via Latin Pӯthius from Greek Puthios of Delphi
Word Origin and History for pythic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper