[kwo-druhp-lit, -droo-plit, kwod-roo-plit]
- any group or combination of four.
- quadruplets, four children or offspring born of one pregnancy.
- one of four such children or offspring.
- Music. a group of four notes of equal value performed in the time normally taken for three.
Origin of quadruplet
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for quadruplettetralogy, tetrad, quaternity, quadrivium, quadruplet, quadruple, quaternion, quaternary, quadrumvirate, quartet, quadrangle, quadrant, quadrigeminal, quadraphonic
Examples from the Web for quadruplet
Historical Examples of quadruplet
But if, quite satisfied with your service, I propose to you five quadruplet instead of four, you would accept it without doubt.The Guide of the Desert
- one of four offspring born at one birthOften shortened to: quad
- a group or set of four similar things
- music a group of four notes to be played in a time value of three
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
[kwŏ-drōō′plĭt, -drŭp′lĭt, kwŏd′rə-plĭt]
- One of four offspring born in a single birth.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.