- withdrawn from or no longer occupied with one's business or profession: a retired banker.
- due or given a retired person: retired pay.
- secluded or sequestered: a retired little village.
Origin of retired
Synonyms for retired
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having given up one's work, office, etc, esp on completion of the normal period of servicea retired headmistress
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the retired
- withdrawn; secludeda retired life; a retired cottage in the woods
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1580s, "separated from society or public notice," past participle adjective from retire (v.). Meaning "having given up business" is from 1824. Abbreviation ret'd. attested from 1942.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper