[hi-stawr-i-kuh l, -stor-]
- of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research.
- based on or reconstructed from an event, custom, style, etc., in the past: a historical reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg.
- having once existed or lived in the real world, as opposed to being part of legend or fiction or as distinguished from religious belief: to doubt that a historical Camelot ever existed; a theologian's study of the historical Jesus.
- narrated or mentioned in history; belonging to the past.
- noting or pertaining to analysis based on a comparison among several periods of development of a phenomenon, as in language or economics.
- historic(def 1).
Origin of historical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for historical on Thesaurus.com
3. documented, authentic, factual, attested.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- belonging to or typical of the study of historyhistorical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the pasthistorical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by historya historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
- a less common word for historic (def. 1)
Word Origin and History for quasihistorical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper