- Statistics. a quantile for the special case of five equal proportions.
- Astrology. a quintile aspect.
- Astrology. of or relating to the aspect of two heavenly bodies that are one fifth of the zodiac, or 72°, apart.
Origin of quintile
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for quintile
Historical Examples of quintile
Quintile, kwin′til, n. the aspect of planets distant from each other the fifth part of the zodiac, or 72.
- an aspect of 72° between two heavenly bodies
- a fifth part of a distribution
Word Origin for quintile
C17: from Latin quintus fifth
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for quintile
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper