- Statistics. a quantile for the special case of five equal proportions.
- Astrology. a quintile aspect.
- Astrology. of or relating to the aspect of two heavenly bodies that are one fifth of the zodiac, or 72°, apart.
Origin of quintile
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for quintile
Quintile, kwin′til, n. the aspect of planets distant from each other the fifth part of the zodiac, or 72.
- an aspect of 72° between two heavenly bodies
- a fifth part of a distribution
C17: from Latin quintus fifth
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for quintile
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper