- the science dealing with x-rays or nuclear radiation, especially for medical uses.
- the examination or photographing of organs, bones, etc., with such rays.
- the interpretation of medical x-ray photographs.
Origin of radiology
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for radiologist
Scott was wearing hospital scrubs and likely continued on to his work as a radiologist.Scott Broadwell Proves to Be a Class Act in the Wake of His Wife’s Affair
November 22, 2012
Broadwell lives in Charlotte, N.C., with her radiologist husband and two young boys.Six Mysteries About David Petraeus, Paula Broadwell & Jill Kelley
The Daily Beast
November 13, 2012
And these were examined by ourselves and by the radiologist, who assisted us in this endeavor.Warren Commission (2 of 26): Hearings Vol. II (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
- the use of X-rays and radioactive substances in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
Word Origin and History for radiologist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The branch of medicine that makes diagnostic images of anatomic structures through the use of electromagnetic radiation or sound waves and that treats disease through the use of radioactive compounds. Radiological imaging techniques include x-rays, CAT scans, PET scans, MRIs, and ultrasonograms.
- The use of radiation for the scientific examination of material structures; radioscopy.
- The branch of medicine that deals with diagnostic images of anatomic structures through the use of electromagnetic radiation or sound waves and that treats disease through the use of radioactive compounds. Radiologic imaging techniques include x-rays, CAT scans, PET scans, MRIs, and ultrasonograms.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.