[rag-uh l]
  1. a groove cut in masonry to receive flashing.
  2. Also called raggle block. a manufactured masonry unit, usually of terra cotta, having a groove for receiving flashing.

Origin of raggle

First recorded in 1880–85; origin uncertain
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

British Dictionary definitions for raggle


  1. mainly Scot a thin groove cut in stone or brickwork, esp to hold the edge of a roof

Word Origin for raggle

C19: of obscure origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012