- a person or thing that reacts or undergoes reaction.
- Electricity. a device whose primary purpose is to introduce reactance into a circuit.
- Immunology, Veterinary Medicine. a patient or animal that reacts positively towards a foreign material.
- Also called atomic pile, chain reactor, chain-reacting pile, nuclear reactor, pile. Physics. an apparatus in which a nuclear-fission chain reaction can be initiated, sustained, and controlled, for generating heat or producing useful radiation.
- Chemistry. (especially in industry) a large container, as a vat, for processes in which the substances involved undergo a chemical reaction.
Origin of reactor
Examples from the Web for reactor
Contemporary Examples of reactor
In 1981, while the world condemned us, we sent our air force to destroy the Osirak reactor Saddam Hussein was building in Iraq.Why You Should Blame Iran For The Gaza Conflict
July 26, 2014
Iran is suspected to have aided in the funding of that reactor.Iran and North Korea: The Nuclear 'Axis of Resistance'
Josh Rogin, Eli Lake
January 31, 2014
It prohibits the manufacture of new centrifuges and work on the Arak reactor.Obama and the Munich Katrinas
November 26, 2013
The reactor has the potential to produce weapons grade plutonium.A Very Israeli Linkage: Iran's Bomb and Peace With the Palestinians
September 10, 2013
The reactor has the potential to produce weapon grade plutonium.A Very Israeli Linkage: Iran's Nuclear Bomb and Peace With Palestine
September 10, 2013
Historical Examples of reactor
This will give you a constant temperature inside the reactor.The K-Factor
Harry Harrison (AKA Henry Maxwell Dempsey)
Father, do you remember when the Haval Valley reactor blew up?Ministry of Disturbance
Henry Beam Piper
Obviously, the reactor was the only part not vaporized in the fall—because of its construction.A Fine Fix
R. C. Noll
Relief swept over him as he looked back at the reactor itself.
I was finishing up with Reactor One when I heard the explosion.
- chem a substance, such as a reagent, that undergoes a reaction
- short for nuclear reactor
- a vessel, esp one in industrial use, in which a chemical reaction takes place
- a coil of low resistance and high inductance that introduces reactance into a circuit
- med a person sensitive to a particular drug or agent
"one that reacts," 1835, agent noun in Latin form from react. In nuclear sense, attested from 1945.