- any of various calcined mixtures of clay and limestone, usually mixed with water and sand, gravel, etc., to form concrete, that are used as a building material.
- any of various soft, sticky substances that dry hard or stonelike, used especially for mending broken objects or for making things adhere.
- Petrography. the compact groundmass surrounding and binding together the fragments of clastic rocks.
- anything that binds or unites: Time is the cement of friendship.
- a hardening, adhesive, plastic substance, used in the repair of teeth for anchoring fillings or inlays, for filling, or for fastening crowns.
- to unite by or as if by cement: to cement stones to form a wall; to cement a relationship.
- to coat or cover with cement: to cement a floor.
- to become cemented; join together or unite; cohere.
Origin of cement
Synonyms for cement
- a fine grey powder made of a mixture of calcined limestone and clay, used with water and sand to make mortar, or with water, sand, and aggregate, to make concrete
- a binder, glue, or adhesive
- something that unites or joins; bond
- dentistry any of various materials used in filling teeth
- mineral matter, such as silica and calcite, that binds together particles of rock, bones, etc, to form a solid mass of sedimentary rock
- another word for cementum
- to reinforce or consolidateonce a friendship is cemented it will last for life
- to join, bind, or glue together with or as if with cement
- to coat or cover with cement
Word Origin for cement
c.1400, from cement (n.) or Old French cimenter. Figurative use from c.1600. Related: Cemented; cementing.
c.1300, from Old French ciment "cement, mortar, pitch," from Latin cæmenta "stone chips used for making mortar" (singular caementum), from caedere "to cut down, chop, beat, hew, fell, slay" (see -cide). The sense evolution from "small broken stones" to "powdered stones used in construction" took place before the word reached English.
- A substance used for filling dental cavities or anchoring crowns, inlays, or other restorations.
- A substance that hardens to act as an adhesive; glue.