- the act of reconnoitering.
- Military. a search made for useful military information in the field, especially by examining the ground.
- Surveying, Civil Engineering. a general examination or survey of a region, usually followed by a detailed survey.
- Geology. an examination or survey of the general geological characteristics of a region.
Origin of reconnaissance
Related Wordsexploration, surveillance, search, scan, review, probe, scrutiny, investigation, survey, reconnoiter, recon
Examples from the Web for reconnaissance
In a Lynx, however, Harry could take part in reconnaissance missions and transport passengers.Can Harry Bury the Party Prince?
December 2, 2014
On August 18, an IED killed Private First Class Morris Walker and Staff Sergeant Clayton Bowen during a reconnaissance mission.We Lost Soldiers in the Hunt for Bergdahl, a Guy Who Walked Off in the Dead of Night
Nathan Bradley Bethea
June 2, 2014
ASW assets and crews have been diverted to reconnaissance missions in overland and littoral wars.Tomorrow’s Stealthy Subs Could Sink America’s Navy
May 12, 2014
Up until this point, Chinese unmanned drones had only been used in surveillance and reconnaissance operations.How China Used Drones to Capture a Notorious Burmese Drug Lord
April 17, 2014
Poland is accelerating deals on missile defense systems and combat and reconnaissance drones worth $980 million.Obama’s Nuclear Summit Aimed to Stop Terrorists. Now Putin’s the Issue.
Christopher Dickey, Jamie Dettmer, Nadette De Visser
March 25, 2014
It was already dusk when we returned from the reconnaissance.The Story of the Malakand Field Force
Sir Winston S. Churchill
No reconnaissance had been made in the direction of Tilly and Wavre.Camps, Quarters and Casual Places
Call it a reconnaissance, call it suicide—one name's just as good as the other.Two Thousand Miles Below
Charles Willard Diffin
It was just then that Sir James rode back from his reconnaissance.Two Sides of the Face
Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch
I killed it with a stone, and cut off the rattles and continued my reconnaissance.A Canyon Voyage
Frederick S. Dellenbaugh
- the act of reconnoitring
- the process of obtaining information about the position, activities, resources, etc, of an enemy or potential enemy
- a preliminary inspection of an area of land before an engineering survey is made
Word Origin and History for reconnaissance
1810, from French reconnaissance "act of surveying," literally "recognition," from Old French reconoissance "recognition, acknowledgement" (see recognizance).