- forming a straight line.
- formed by straight lines.
- characterized by straight lines.
- moving in a straight line.
Origin of rectilinear
Related Words for rectilinearrectangular, short, straightforward, solid, smooth, successive, consecutive, nonstop, true, quadrate, quadratic, equilateral, foursquare, even, right, vertical, level, invariable, plumb, perpendicular
Examples from the Web for rectilinear
Historical Examples of rectilinear
By linear, or perhaps, more correctly, rectilinear incision.A Manual of the Operations of Surgery
The English letters are much more sober and rectilinear in character.Lessons in the Art of Illuminating
W. J. Loftie
Patagium incomplete, enveloping only the basal half of the arms, with four to five rectilinear parallel chamber-rows.
Kepler, on the other hand, was no less in error in considering their paths to be rectilinear.Comets and Meteors
Quite soon you will begin to find that everything is too rectilinear.Wings and the Child
E. [Edith] Nesbit
- in, moving in, or characterized by a straight line or linesthe rectilinear propagation of light
- consisting of, bounded by, or formed by a straight line or lines
- Relating to, consisting of, or moving in a straight line or lines.