- real or genuine; down-to-earth; decent: a regular guy.
- absolute; thoroughgoing: a regular rascal.
- governed by one law throughout.
- (of a polygon) having all sides and angles equal.
- (of a polyhedron) having all faces congruent regular polygons, and all solid angles congruent.
- (of a topological space) having the property that, corresponding to each point and a closed set not containing the point, there are two disjoint open sets, one containing the point, the other containing the closed set.
- (of a function of a complex variable) analytic (def. 5a).
QUIZ YOURSELF ON “ITS” VS. “IT’S”!
Origin of regular
OTHER WORDS FROM regular
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH regularregular , routine
Words nearby regular
Example sentences from the Web for regular
Just like regular bedding, the overall texture and feel of the blanket material are going to make a big difference in your sleep experience.Best weighted blanket: Sleep like a baby with our comfy bedding picks|PopSci Commerce Team|February 12, 2021|Popular Science
It’s to figure out what turns a regular question into a sensitive one, and whether it’s still worth asking.Can I Ask You a Ridiculously Personal Question? (Ep. 451)|Stephen J. Dubner|February 11, 2021|Freakonomics
A regular cartoon character was Chester the Molester, who stalked little girls.Larry Flynt, pornographer and self-styled First Amendment champion, dies at 78|Paul W. Valentine|February 10, 2021|Washington Post
He won 200 regular season games, seventh on the NFL’s career list, and the six coaches ahead of him all are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.Marty Schottenheimer’s legacy can be measured in teams’ regret over letting him go|Leonard Shapiro|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
As early as the 1400s scientists began to suspect that the regular tetrahedron — in which all four faces of the pyramid are equilateral triangles — can’t be used to fill space either.Undergraduates Hunt for Special Tetrahedra That Fit Together|Kevin Hartnett|February 9, 2021|Quanta Magazine
But they say its effect on the regular daily operation of organized crime has been negligible.
His hero, Bruce Springsteen, is a gazillionaire, but he still manages to come across as a regular guy, so perception is reality.
And with regular clients that see him at least twice a month, relationships inevitably form.Career-Minded Women Turn to Male Escorts For No-Strings Fun and (Maybe) Sex|Aurora Snow|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Yet the email references the 1970s, “when police officers were ambushed and executed on a regular basis.”
Park employees helped John quit tobacco by way of a butts-proof glass enclosure, a drastic change in diet, and regular exercise.Zebra Finches, Dolphins, Elephants, and More Animals Under the Influence|Bill Schulz|December 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
When she arrived she made a regular entry into the city in a coach all gold and glass, drawn by eight superb plumed horses.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
If you have any thoughts of influencing me or my men to join the regular Confederate army, you may as well give up the idea.The Courier of the Ozarks|Byron A. Dunn
He is what the bill wishes to make for us, a regular root doctor, and will suit the place exactly.
A child may acquire while quite young and before any methodical education commences a certain feeling for regular form.Children's Ways|James Sully
He was dressed like a waiter, and he looked like one—a regular City waiter, you know.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
British Dictionary definitions for regular
- (of a polygon) equilateral and equiangular
- (of a polyhedron) having identical regular polygons as faces that make identical angles with each other
- (of a prism) having regular polygons as bases
- (of a pyramid) having a regular polygon as a base and the altitude passing through the centre of the base
- another name for analytic (def. 5)