- an adjustable device in a clock or a watch for making it go faster or slower.
- a master clock, usually of great accuracy, against which other clocks are checked.
- a governor mechanism for regulating the flow of fuel, steam, etc., to an engine in order to maintain constant speed under varying load or resistance.
- a valve for regulating the pressure of flowing gas or liquid to maintain a predetermined pressure.
- any of various mechanisms for maintaining a temperature, a level of liquid in a tank, etc.
- a member of any of several bands or committees in North Carolina (1767–71), formed to resist certain abuses, as extortion by officials.
- (in newly settled areas) a member of any band or committee organized to preserve order before the establishment of regular legal authority.
Words nearby regulator
How to use regulator in a sentence
Wall Street’s top regulators believe financial markets held up under the strain of the trading frenzy that drove shares of GameStop and other neglected companies to nosebleed-high prices last week.Yellen, after meeting with regulators, says stock market showed resilience through GameStop frenzy|Tory Newmyer|February 5, 2021|Washington Post
It has also urged platforms to put a cap on users’ monthly spending on virtual gifts, though regulators haven’t specified or suggested a limit.Kuaishou, TikTok’s Chinese nemesis, surges 194% on IPO debut|Rita Liao|February 5, 2021|TechCrunch
Lawmakers and regulators are considering action to curb Amazon’s alleged antitrust violations.Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos‘s successor will inherit his challenges|Jay Greene, Cat Zakrzewski|February 4, 2021|Washington Post
If I had to guess, I’d say regulators will look closely at things like “payment for order flow.”
How all these various players exit the trade—and whether they do so at a profit—will shape whatever response regulators may offer to the situation.The GameStop bubble isn’t a revolt against Wall Street|Tim Fernholz|January 30, 2021|Quartz
The state insurance regulator does not have claims data for 2011 and 2012.
The station is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Tragedy As Receptionist Who Connected Kate Middleton Prank Callers Commits Suicide|Tom Sykes|December 7, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The station 2Day FM is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Meet The DJ Who Would Be Queen - And Pranked Kate Middleton's Nurse Into Thinking She Was|Tom Sykes|December 5, 2012|DAILY BEAST
He did, in some lawyerly detail, suggesting the body should be “constituted in law” but not a statutory regulator.Leveson Inquiry’s Report Sparks a War in the British Parliament|Peter Jukes|November 29, 2012|DAILY BEAST
A rare competent regulator describes policy battles with the Obama administration in her new book.
He insisted on taking back the watch, which ever after he used as a regulator.Captains of Industry|James Parton
If it does, maybe we can get the cap and the regulator on the top.On the Edge of the Arctic|Harry Lincoln Sayler
The regulator stood in the open door, looking out upon the great sheets of water that were falling from the clouds.
"With the regulator armed and equipped, the enemy will flee without taking order as to its line of march," thought the old man.
The regulator magnet is so formed as to give a uniform attraction upon its armature in different positions.