- to happen; take place; come to pass: When did the accident occur?
- to be met with or found; present itself; appear.
- to suggest itself in thought; come to mind (usually followed by to): An idea occurred to me.
Origin of occur
Examples from the Web for reoccurred
For the first time since she'd left the hotel it reoccurred to her.Earth Alert!
- to happen; take place; come about
- to be found or be present; exist
- (foll by to) to be realized or thought of (by); suggest itself (to)
Word Origin and History for reoccurred
1520s, "meet, meet in argument," from Middle French occurrer "happen unexpectedly" or directly from Latin occurrere "run to meet, run against, befall, present itself," from ob "against, toward" (see ob-) + currere "to run" (see current (adj.)). Sense development is from "meet" to "present itself" to "appear" to "happen" ("present itself in the course of events"). Meaning "to come into one's mind" is from 1620s. Related: Occurred; occurring.