- a transversely corded fabric of wool, silk, rayon, or cotton.
Origin of rep1
- a silk, wool, rayon, or cotton fabric with a transversely corded surface
- theatre short for repertory company
- informal short for reputation
Word Origin and History for repped
1705 as abbreviation of reputation (n.); upon rep "I swear it" was a common 18c. slang asseveration. As a shortening of repetition (n.) it is recorded from 1864, originally school slang; as a shortening of representative (n.), especially "sales representative," it is attested from 1896. As an abbreviation of repertory (company) it is recorded from 1925.
- Roentgen-equivalent-physical; a unit of absorbed radiation dose, equal to the amount of ionizing radiation that will transfer 93 ergs of energy to 1 gram of water or living tissue.