- the act of asking for something to be given or done, especially as a favor or courtesy; solicitation or petition: At his request, they left.
- an instance of this: There have been many requests for the product.
- a written statement of petition: If you need supplies, send in a request.
- something asked for: to obtain one's request.
- the state of being asked for; demand.
- to ask for, especially politely or formally: He requested permission to speak.
- to ask or beg; bid (usually followed by a clause or an infinitive): to request that he leave; to request to be excused.
- to ask or beg (someone) to do something: He requested me to go.
- by request, in response or accession to a request: The orchestra played numbers by request.
Origin of request
Examples from the Web for requester
His passion for charity was so great, that no requester by the extent of his request could outdo his determination of giving.The Gtakaml
A regard for the requester would often make one readily yield to a request, without waiting for arguments to reason one into it.Pride and Prejudice
- to express a desire for, esp politely; ask for or demandto request a bottle of wine
- the act or an instance of requesting, esp in the form of a written statement; petition or solicitationa request for a song
- (as modifier)a request programme
- at the request of in accordance with the specific demand or wish of (someone)
- by request in accordance with someone's desire
- in request in demand; popularhe is in request in concert halls all over the world
- on request on the occasion of a demand or requestapplication forms are available on request
Word Origin and History for requester
mid-14c., from Old French requeste (Modern French requête) "a request," from Vulgar Latin *requaesita, from Latin requisita "a thing asked for," fem. of requisitus "requested, demanded," from past participle stem of requirere (see require).
1530s, from request (n.) or from Middle French requester, from Old French requester "ask again, request, reclaim," from requeste. Related: Requested; requesting.
Idioms and Phrases with requester
see at someone's request; by request; on request.