- to make repayment or return for (service, benefits, etc.).
- to make retaliation for (a wrong, injury, etc.); avenge.
- to make return to (a person, group, etc.) for service, benefits, etc.
- to retaliate on (a person, group, etc.) for a wrong, injury, etc.
- to give or do in return.
Origin of requite
SynonymsSee more synonyms for requite on Thesaurus.com
1. repay, reward, recompense, compensate, pay, remunerate, reimburse. 2. revenge.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to make return to (a person for a kindness or injury); repay with a similar action
C16: re- + obsolete quite to discharge, repay; see quit
Word Origin and History for requitement
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper