- the side of a coin, medal, etc., that does not bear the principal design (opposed to obverse).
- the side of an ancient coin that was struck by the upper die.
- the condition of being reversed: to throw an engine into reverse.
- a reversing mechanism.
verb (used with object), re·versed, re·vers·ing.
verb (used without object), re·versed, re·vers·ing.
GEE WHILLIKERS! WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of reverse
SYNONYMS FOR reverse
synonym study for reverse
OTHER WORDS FROM reverse
Words nearby reverse
Example sentences from the Web for reverse
But Republican and Democratic parties have made efforts to reverse that trend.
So now the company is asking the FCC to, in effect, reverse itself.How ‘Ethical’ Hotel Chain Marriott Gouges Guests in the Name of Wi-Fi Security|Kyle Chayka|December 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
My trip takes the reverse path, and I begin by assessing the depth of my Shakespeare knowledge in his birthplace.
Ditto Virginia, but in reverse; culturally, northern Virginia is Yankee land (but with gun shops).
Europeans seem to find them exotic, an odd case of culture-envy in reverse.
Could he reverse the steering-gear in all that flame and smoke?Egholm and his God|Johannes Buchholtz
The signet is hung upon a swivel, and has hieroglyphics on what may be called the reverse.
How fatal then, how tormenting, how intolerable, must her reverse of fortune be!The Adventures of Roderick Random|Tobias Smollett
Christopher could afford to be magnanimous toward Alan, now that Elisabeth was the reverse.The Farringdons|Ellen Thorneycroft Fowler
Turn your minds eye upon the reverse of all this false felicity and you will perceive the true happiness.Chaucer's Translation of Boethius's 'De Consolatione Philosophiae'|Geoffrey Chaucer
British Dictionary definitions for reverse
verb (mainly tr)
- the mechanism or gears by which machinery, a vehicle, etc, can be made to reverse its direction
- (as modifier)reverse gear
- printed matter in which normally black or coloured areas, esp lettering, appear white, and vice versa
- (as modifier)reverse plates