- a seaport on and the capital of Dominica.
- one of the Windward Islands, in the E West Indies.
- an independent republic comprising this island: a former British colony; gained independence 1978. 290 sq. mi. (751 sq. km). Capital: Roseau.
- a female given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for roseau
In Roseau, as in most other towns, the most interesting spot is the market.
A landing was immediately attempted on my left flank, between the town of Roseau and the post of Cachecrow.
Roseau, the principal or only town, stands midway along the western shore.
He is too poor to open Government House to the Roseau shopkeepers and to bid for social popularity.
Meanwhile, Roseau itself was to be seen and the immediate neighbourhood, and this I could manage for myself.
- the capital of Dominica, a port on the SW coast: botanical gardens. Pop: 19 400 (2001 est)
- a republic in the E Caribbean, comprising a volcanic island in the Windward Islands group; a former British colony; became independent as a member of the Commonwealth in 1978. Official language: English. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: East Caribbean dollar. Capital: Roseau. Pop: 73 286 (2013 est). Area: 751 sq km (290 sq miles)Official name: Commonwealth of Dominica