- a supporter or adherent of a king or royal government, especially in times of rebellion or civil war.
- (initial capital letter) a Cavalier adherent of Charles I of England.
- a loyalist in the American Revolution; Tory.
- (initial capital letter) an adherent of the house of Bourbon in France.
- of or relating to royalists: royalist sympathies.
Origin of royalist
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for royalist
Upon his death, his nine-year-old son was left with what remained of his royalist supporters.England’s Greatest Knight Puts ‘Game of Thrones’ to Shame
December 9, 2014
The Royalist is urgently contacting Russian Tatler to see this extraordinary document with our own eyes.How To Fire Your Maid, By A Russian Oligarch
October 1, 2014
Kate is less than 12 weeks pregnant, a source confirmed to the Royalist.Second Royal Baby for Kate
September 8, 2014
The Royalist has always maintained that Harry's red hair is a Spencer, not a Hewitt trait.Prince Harry Definitely Not James Hewitt's Son According To DNA Test
September 6, 2014
No pictures of him cavorting naked in hotel rooms have yet been received by the Royalist.Newly Single Harry Parties In Miami!
May 1, 2014
All the convent was royalist, and Henri V. was their recognised sovereign.
He may be a Republican, and he must uphold with warmth and conviction Royalist theories.
Marked ye not that he claimed to have been the last Royalist who drew sword in England?Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
Sir Matthew Hale, as most of our readers must be aware, was a devoted Royalist.Leading Articles on Various Subjects
Wilson—that was his name in those days—was a Royalist when I encountered him.The Shadow of a Crime
- a supporter of a monarch or monarchy, esp a supporter of the Stuarts during the English Civil War
- informal an extreme reactionary or conservativean economic royalist
- of, characteristic of, or relating to royalists
Word Origin and History for royalist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper